Murder of two women journalists brings media death toll since 2000 to 80

first_img to go further Federal District prosecutor Miguel Ángel Mancera promised that those responsible would be arrested quickly. The head of the Mexico City government, Marcelo Ebrard, also promised that justice would be done. Reporters Without Borders asks these officials or their aides to keep it informed about developments in the investigation. The motive has yet to be established.An investigative magazine that has been going for more than 10 years, Contralínea has been the target of intimidation and judicial harassment, especially since 2007, when its reporting proved embarrassing for the national oil company PEMEX.This double murder has compounded the widespread feeling of terror resulting from the federal offensive against drug trafficking launched in December 2006, whose death toll now stand at 50,000. Until now, Mexico City had seemed much less exposed to the violence than the rest of the country. NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say Organisation September 2, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Murder of two women journalists brings media death toll since 2000 to 80 RSF_en News MexicoAmericas Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state Reporters Without Borders is shocked by the murders of reporter Ana María Yarce Viveros, the founder of the weekly magazine Contralínea, and Rocio González Trápaga, a freelance journalist who used to work for Televisa. The bodies of two women were found in a Mexico City park yesterday.“We strongly condemn this escalation of terror against journalists in what is already one of the hemisphere’s most dangerous and deadliest countries for the media,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Eighty journalists have been killed in Mexico since 2000, six of them women. This double murder comes just a week after Humberto Millán Salazar, a presenter on Radio Formula and editor of the online newspaper A-Discusión, was murdered in the northwestern state of Sinaloa.“More and more journalists are faced with the choice between self-censorship or exile. Can the media survive in Mexico? The authorities have still not implemented an agreement on safety mechanisms for journalists that was signed nearly a year ago. We are waiting for the government to act.”Both aged 48, Yarce and González were kidnapped as they left their office and were strangled during the night of 31 August, Contralínea reported. According to the Federal District prosecutor’s office, their bodies were found yesterday in a park in the eastern district Iztapalapa. Radio Formula said their clothes had been removed, their hands and feet were bound and ropes were left around their necks. This kind of macabre presentation is the hallmark of a drug cartel killing Receive email alerts 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies MexicoAmericas May 5, 2021 Find out more May 13, 2021 Find out more News Follow the news on Mexico News Reports Help by sharing this information April 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Wheelchair theft seen as new low

first_img‘Youths were spotted holding up traffic with the wheelchair getting a ‘laugh’ out of it…’THE theft of a wheelchair that was a young boy’s “only form of independence,” has been seen as a “sickening new low” for a family that has battled hardship for the last three years in Thomondgate. 16-year-old Shane Dundon has cerebral palsy and is now house bound because of the actions of a number of youths who stole the wheelchair from the front porch of the family home in Thomondgate last Sunday. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Mother of six, Theresa Dundon, told the Limerick Post that the seat and frame of the chair were found the following day in Hartigan Villas after youths took the wheels and used them for a horse-drawn sulky kart.“It is bad enough trying to get the council to repair the house, but taking Shane’s only form of independence has really knocked his confidence. He’s upstairs in his room now and can’t or wont come down. He started in St Nessan’s recently and that was a big step for him. I mean, my son has welts on his hands from having to crawl in and out the front door. This is no life for a boy who has suffered to this stage of his life”.Theresa’s and the lives of her family have taken many set backs as the Limerick woman had to bury her college going son who was murdered in the UK during a random act of violence. With five children now, four of whom live with here in the “decrepit house” in Thomondgate, Theresa says that she has been living on empty promises from the local authority to get her house wheelchair friendly.“The house is in a very bad way, the shower doesn’t work, the toilet is in a state, the backgarden is like a swimming pool and it’s gone from bad to worse”.The Dundon family had to move from their original home in Hartigan Villas as the house next-door to their former home was petrol bombed and the council moved them for their own safety.“I had heroin addicts in the garden shooting up and for fear I had to sleep on the couch. We were all in fear of what random act could happen next and even my son crawled out to the front green at 6am scared out of his wits. The council moved us after the lady next door had her house petrol bombed. Now we have been put into this house and they have just forgotten about us. Letters go unanswered, promises go unfulfilled and I’m told there’s no money there to put in a few ramps.“It broke my heart to hear Shane say to me, ‘Mam, if I fell outside and broke my neck maybe then they would do something then’”.Shane’s sister, Nicole, says that this is not the first incident involving a group of up to eight youths “who are taking children’s bikes, hubcaps from cars and stuff like that, but it has taken a step too far this time.Gardai at Mayorstone are investigating.Nicole’s frustration continued when she added that the perpetrators of the wheelchair theft are aged “as young as 12 and 13. They shouldn’t go unpunished because of their age. It makes me sick to think that you cant even leave a wheelchair in your own porch without it being stolen.” Advertisement Facebook Email Print WhatsAppcenter_img Previous articleBowie’s career under the spotlightNext articleLimerick FC could win title this weekend admin NewsLocal NewsWheelchair theft seen as new lowBy admin – September 27, 2012 720 Twitter Linkedinlast_img read more